Posted .

As any parent knows, children have accidents. They slip, the fall, they run into things. It’s a normal part of growing up. At times, a childhood accident may result in an injury to your child’s mouth or teeth, which could become a dental emergency.

If your child has a dental emergency, you should contact our dentist, Dr. Nieku Manshadi at Route 32 Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics in Waco. Texas, at 254.870.1440. We’ll do our best to get your child in as soon as possible, or give you a referral if necessary.

In the meantime, here are some things you can do to help you child through their dental emergency:

If you child has a toothache, have her show which tooth is causing her pain, and take a look to see if the problem is visible. You might have your child rinse her mouth or gargle with a solution of salt and warm water, or a cold compress may relieve the pain. You can check with our office or your pharmacist about using a pediatric pain reliever or anti-inflammatory medication.

If your child has a baby tooth knocked out, you should schedule her for an exam with Dr. Manshadi to make sure there has been no other damage. If she loses a permanent tooth, you should rinse the tooth with cold water, making sure not to touch the roots. You can try placing the tooth back in the socket, and have your child hold it in place with a piece of gauze. If the tooth cannot be replaced in the socket, place the tooth in cold milk, water or a tooth-saving solution. Even if you can put your child’s tooth back in, the dentist will still need to see her.

If your child chips her tooth, save the pieces in the same way that you would save a lost tooth. You should rinse her mouth with warm water and use a cold compress to keep the pain and swelling at bay.

If your child loses a crown or filling, you might be able to cover the area with sugarless gum or a temporary filling available in many stores.

No matter what the dental emergency is, it is vital that you contact our office as quickly as possible. The sooner we are able to see your child, the better.